I’ve always wanted to make my own vegan burger patties and finally got around to attempting it and dontchaknow, they turned out pretty damn good! I knew I wanted black beans as the base and figured quinoa would be a good filler but it needed something else. What better than to throw in one of my favorite foods: mushrooms! Quite pleased with the outcome *pats self on back*.
What You Will Need:
1 package herbed polenta, sliced into strips
3/4 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup diced sweet onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 can organic black beans, drained & rinsed
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup vegan, gluten-free bread crumbs
2 tsp ground flax seed
2-3 TBS grapeseed oil, separated
*Makes about 4 patties
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly spray cookie sheet with non stick spray or olive oil. Lay even layer of polenta on the sheet and bake 20-30 minutes.
2. While fries are cooking, heat 1 TBS oil in a large skillet and sauté the mushrooms, onion & garlic with spices until lightly browned. Transfer to large food processor.
3. Add beans, quinoa, bread crumbs & flax seed to processor and pulse until all ingredients are combined.
4. Using the same pan you used for sautéing (one less pan to clean – yay!) heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Form patties from your bean mixture and fry in the pan on each side for about 5 minutes. *I’m not going to lie to you here, these don’t exactly stay together extremely well at first so you kind of have to keep molding them a bit while they cook. Be gentle with them
5. Serve on your choice of bun – I used gluten-free english muffins with mustard, arugula, roma tomatoes & avocado. Pile on the polenta fries and you are good to go!