It has been a long standing tradition in my family to have big ooey gooey cinnamon rolls every Christmas morning. It really is the only time of year I indulge in them, as much as I love ’em. After going vegan, and then gluten-free, it seemed like I would just have to sit back and watch everyone else partake in the festivities while I cried into a bowl of granola. But not anymore…
I came across this recipe and even given my past fail at gluten-free baking, I still had to give it a try for the sake of possibly saving my Christmas morning. I did change it ever so slightly because my dough wasn’t very doughy at first, but hot dang! they actually came out pretty good! I was quite proud of my coconut glaze as well, which I kinda came up with on my own.
Because they’re gluten-free, they aren’t as soft and gooey as the cinnamon rolls I’m used to, but that’s ok, I have to live with my life choices 🙂
What are some of your holiday traditions that you’ve veganized or otherwise adapted to fit your lifestyle?
Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls with Coconut Glaze
By August 31, 2013Published:
A vegan, gluten-free take on cinnamon rolls. Topped with a deliciously sinful coconut glaze.
- 1 1/2 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/4 CUP Non Dairy Milk
- 7 TBSP Raw Sugar Divided
- 4 TSP Cinnamon Divided
- 3 CUP Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Flour
- 1 1/4 TSP Baking Powder
- 1/2 TSP Baking Soda
- 1/2 TSP Salt
- 2 TBSP Coconut Oil
- 1/2 CUP Raw Walnuts Chopped
- 3 TBSP Almond Milk
- 1/2 CUP Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 2 TBSP Coconut Oil
- Preheat oven to 425°. Mix together apple cider vinegar and non dairy milk in a bowl and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine 5 TBSP raw sugar and 3 TSP cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, 2 TBSP raw sugar, baking powder, baking soda, 1 TSP cinnamon and salt.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix into a workable dough (you may need to add a bit more flour).
- On a well floured surface knead the dough and then roll it out into a rectangular shape. Brush with 2 TBSP coconut oil and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture. Top with walnuts.
- Carefully roll dough into a log and slice into 2 inch pieces (I rolled mine along the long side so I had smaller rolls, for jumbo rolls, roll along the short side). Place side by side in a foil lined and lightly greased (I used coconut oil) baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- For the Glaze: Combine almond milk, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and coconut oil and mix until smooth. Drizzle onto cinnamon rolls right out of the oven.