It has been a long standing tradition in my family to have big ooey gooey cinnamon rolls every Christmas morning. It really is the only time of year I indulge in them, as much as I love ‘em. After going vegan, and then gluten-free, it seemed like I would just have to sit back and watch everyone else partake in the festivities while I cried into a bowl of granola. But not anymore…
I came across this recipe and even given my past fail at gluten-free baking, I still had to give it a try for the sake of possibly saving my Christmas morning. I did change it ever so slightly because my dough wasn’t very doughy at first, but hot dang! they actually came out pretty good! I was quite proud of my coconut glaze as well, which I kinda came up with on my own.
Because they’re gluten-free, they aren’t as soft and gooey as the cinnamon rolls I’m used to, but that’s ok, I have to live with my life choices
What are some of your holiday traditions that you’ve veganized or otherwise adapted to fit your lifestyle?
Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls with Coconut Glaze
By August 31, 2013Published:
A vegan, gluten-free take on cinnamon rolls. Topped with a deliciously sinful coconut glaze.
- 1 1/2 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/4 CUP Non Dairy Milk
- 7 TBSP Raw Sugar Divided
- 4 TSP Cinnamon Divided
- 3 CUP Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Flour
- 1 1/4 TSP Baking Powder
- 1/2 TSP Baking Soda
- 1/2 TSP Salt
- 2 TBSP Coconut Oil
- 1/2 CUP Raw Walnuts Chopped
- 3 TBSP Almond Milk
- 1/2 CUP Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 2 TBSP Coconut Oil
- Preheat oven to 425°. Mix together apple cider vinegar and non dairy milk in a bowl and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine 5 TBSP raw sugar and 3 TSP cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, 2 TBSP raw sugar, baking powder, baking soda, 1 TSP cinnamon and salt.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix into a workable dough (you may need to add a bit more flour).
- On a well floured surface knead the dough and then roll it out into a rectangular shape. Brush with 2 TBSP coconut oil and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture. Top with walnuts.
- Carefully roll dough into a log and slice into 2 inch pieces (I rolled mine along the long side so I had smaller rolls, for jumbo rolls, roll along the short side). Place side by side in a foil lined and lightly greased (I used coconut oil) baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- For the Glaze: Combine almond milk, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and coconut oil and mix until smooth. Drizzle onto cinnamon rolls right out of the oven.