Some nights are just too hot to fire up the oven and eat an entirely cooked meal. We’ve had a few of those in Los Angeles the past couple weeks and this particular evening I wanted to put together a salad for dinner that would be bursting with flavor and leave me satisfied. The combination of hearty kale, crunchy cashews and the sweetness of the pineapple was a perfect blend that danced on my tastebuds.
One of the most important steps in the recipe is massaging the kale. It may seem silly (feel free to giggle while doing it) but it really does transform the kale from being tough and bitter to sweet and smooth.
Grilled Pineapple Kale Salad
By July 23, 2013Published:
- Yield: 5 cups (2 Servings)
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 8 mins
- Ready In: 18 mins
This refreshing massaged kale salad is filled with delicious flavors, perfect for a warm summer evening.
- 4 spears Organic Pineapple
- 1 TBS Organic Coconut Oil
- 5 cups Organic Tuscan Kale
- 1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup Raw Cashews chopped
- 1/2 cup Sundried Tomatoes chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Avocado sliced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 2 TBS Raspberry Balsamic separated
- Oil your BBQ, George Forman, grill pan (whatever you have) with coconut oil and heat to medium high heat. Place pineapple spears on hot grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- While pineapple is cooking, place your clean kale in a large bowl. Sprinkle in garlic powder (you could also use fresh minced garlic, but I didn't have any on hand). Coat your hands in the olive oil and gently massage the kale until the leaves start to darken.
- Toss in the rest of your ingredients and mix until combined. Plate up your salad, season to your liking and place the warm grilled pineapple on top.
- Drizzle with raspberry balsamic.