I fell in love with kelp noodles a couple months ago after trying them for the first time at a raw restaurant in Santa Monica called M.A.K.E. I thought it sounded weird, but was feeling adventurous that particular weekend so I ordered it. Love at first bite for sure. I can’t remember exactly what they did to theirs, but it was heavenly. I knew I had to try making my own versions at home.
They are the perfect replacement for glutenous noodles especially when it’s crazy hot outside (like it has been in L.A. the past week) and you don’t want hot pasta. They are quick and easy to prepare (just a quick rinse and water soak) and you can do whatever you want with them. This particular evening I was feeling like pesto, but not of the basil variety…I wanted cilantro!
So here it is folks, the recipe for kelp noodles with cilantro pesto. Following the theme it’s both gluten-free and cheap!!
1 TBSP raw pine nuts, toasted $.15
1 PKG kelp noodles $3.79
3 cloves organic garlic $.24
2 cups organic cilantro $.99
1/4 cup EVOO: $.48
2 TBSP Toasted Seasame Oil $.46
2 TBSP organic Lemon Juice $.30
1/2 TSP Salt $.01
1/2 TSP Pepper $.03
4 TSP Sriracha $.13
Total: $6.58 or $3.29 per serving (makes 2 decent sized portions).
**You could also toss the pine nuts into the food processor and blend them into the pesto if you’re so inclined, but I like having the bigger pieces of crunch in my noodles. Totally up to you!
Kelp Noodles with Cilantro Pesto
By September 5, 2013Published:
Recipe for kelp noodles with cilantro pesto and toasted pine nuts. Drizzled with sriracha. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 PKG Kelp Noodles
- 1 TBSP Raw Pine Nuts
- 2 CUPS Organic Cilantro
- 3 CLOVES Organic Garlic
- 1/4 CUP Olive Oil
- 2 TBSP Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 TBSP Organic Lemon Juice
- 1/2 TSP Salt
- 1/2 TSP Pepper
- 4 TSP Sriracha
- Rinse noodles well, then place in a bowl and cover with water. Let soak for 10-15 minutes.
- In a small dry hot skillet, toast pine nuts for a couple minutes until they start to brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine cilantro and garlic and blend while slowing adding in oils, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Continue to blend until it's a smooth consistency. You may have to pause to scrape the sides a couple times.
- Drain noodles, and rinse again then pat dry in a clean kitchen towel and add back to bowl.
- Pour pesto mixture over noodles and toss to coat. Top with toasted pine nuts and sriracha.