After scrolling through my Instagram feed last Spring and wanting to cry for not being at Expo West, I was determined to make it there in 2014…and I did! Oh happy day! Or more like happy 3-day-crazy-marathon-of-fun-and-discovery!
If you don’t know what Natural Products Expo is, it’s a huge event featuring vegan, vegetarian and natural food and beauty product vendors all gathered in one gigantic convention center. It’s like the vegan promised land where all our favorite companies (and new ones) converge to shove yummy food in our face all day. You can check out the quick round-up videos that Veggietorials and I put together: the first one is on her channel and the second is on mine (we’re also running a contest giving away some sweet products & coupons from the Expo on YouTube, so be sure to check it out!) It’s hard to pick only a few favorites because there was just SO MUCH GOOD STUFF!
Some of the latest from companies you know & brand new goodies from ones you may not:
1. Daiya: debuted a smoked gouda cheese
2. Beanfields Snacks: new Ranch and BBQ flavors
3. Phoney Baloney’s Coconut Bacon: new flavors – Chipotle BBQ, Candied, Apple Fennel & low sodium
4. Gardein: debuted fish fillet & a gluten-free line
5. Lovebean: Superfood vegan chocolate fudge spread
6. Owl’s Brew: tea crafted specifically for cocktails
7. SoL Cuisine: Korean BBQ meatless chicken
8. Sophie’s Kitchen: debuted vegan Smoked Salmon
9. The Piping Gourmets: gluten-free & vegan Whoopie Pies
This was also the year of water: coconut water, maple water, olive water, black water but my absolute favorite was the artichoke water from Arty. It was slightly sweet, then transformed into a bit savory and the finish tasted like a baked artichoke. I know it sounds bizarre, but it was oddly refreshing.
What I didn’t expect was to meet the all the kick-ass vegans who I’ve admired for like, forever. I felt like a total fan girl at times, but it was exciting to make new friends and spend quality time with old. Think what you will about the vegan community, but it is filled to the brim with awesomely friendly and supportive people. I was certainly feeling the love throughout! Can you name the vegans?! Hehehehe.
What products from Expo are you excited to try??