I’m not used to cooking for more than two people, but this past weekend I was at my mom’s place and found myself making dinner for five. Given that I was the only vegan, I wanted to make it tasty but still keep it in my cheap, gluten-free MoFo theme. Everyone loves quinoa and kale, right? Right. So I went with that…threw in a little extra stuff here and there and voila! Family meal.
I’m really quite embarrassed about my pictures in this post, being that I was away from home I didn’t have my staff food photographer (aka, the husband). Normally, I can pull off a couple good shots myself, but it was especially difficult to try to concentrate with my 6 year old nephew hungry and ready to eat. And the lighting…not good. Oh well, you can at least see what it looks like even if the photo is not so pretty. What’s really important is how it tastes…
Clean, wholesome, healthy. The flavors were pretty simple, but it worked well and I like that I now have another recipe to use spaghetti squash in because normally I just use it in replace of noodles with tomato sauce…..hello, boring!
Anyhoo…on to the price breakdown:
1/2 Large Spaghetti Squash $3.31
1 Bunch Kale $2.50
2 Roma Tomatoes $.77
3 Cloves Garlic $.24
2 TBSP Olive Oil $.24
1 1/2 Cups Uncooked Quinoa $1.91
1/2 TSP Salt $.01
1 TSP Pepper $.06
Total: $9.04 or $1.81 per serving
Spaghetti Squash & Kale Sauté
By September 10, 2013Published:
Hearty and delicious vegan sauté featuring spaghetti squash, kale & tomatoes. Served over quinoa.
- 1/2 Large Spaghetti Squash
- 1 1/2 CUPS Uncooked Quinoa
- 3 CUPS Filtered Water
- 1 BUNCH Kale Torn into small pieces
- 2 Large Roma Tomatoes Diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 TBSP Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375°. Slice squash in half lengthwise, place face down on a cookie sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool while you prepare the rest of the meal. * I cooked both halves of the squash, but only used one for this meal.
- Place quinoa and water in a pot and cook according to package directions.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet and cook garlic until it just starts to brown. Add in kale (remember to massage it a little to break down the bitterness & toughness), salt & pepper and sauté until it start to wilt.
- Add tomatoes to skillet, stirring often.
- Using a fork, shred the squash into fun little stringy pieces and add that to the skillet. Continue to stir the ingredients until everything is incorporated and hot.
- Top quinoa with kale/squash mixture and enjoy!