Breakfast is one of my favorite meals, yet the least inspiring when it comes around to actually making it. Most mornings I barely have time to make a cup of coffee before I’m rushing out the door for work, so a good hearty breakfast is usually reserved for weekends. Even then, we’ll more often than not go out to eat (though restaurant vegan breakfast options in my hood are lacking). But this creation, my friends, is a game changer. I foresee many many weekends featuring vegan breakfast egg rolls!
The idea for these came from two different scenarios colliding in my brain while I was bored at work last week. The first: my guy Jason was in a jalapeño popper cook-off and he decided to go out of the box and make popper egg rolls. That got me thinking that I wanted to come up with some sort of untraditional vegan egg roll myself (I tried a popper version – didn’t go so well). So I stored that nugget in the back of my mind for future use.
The second: my team at work
loves IS OBSESSED with breakfast burritos. They talk about them constantly, they place bets where the burrito is the prize, they argue over which restaurant makes the best. It’s serious. But I rarely get to partake in the burrito fun because you know, vegan here. A few days ago, one such discussion was going on in the background when the egg roll nugget came back to my mind and BAM – the idea for breakfast egg rolls was born!
I’ve been using the Follow Your Heart VeganEgg pretty much constantly since it came out (I’m seriously in love), so I knew that had to be my base for the filling. Then I added Field Roast Apple Maple Breakfast Sausage and diced red potatoes.
Since Jason was already an expert at rolling the egg rolls, I enlisted him to do that part (which he happily agreed to). It’s really fun to have a guy that loves to cook, makes the whole process much more fulfilling. He also did the frying because he’s good like that and, let’s be honest here, he did a beautiful job!
These guys came out perfect! Crispy and golden on the outside, hot and savory on the inside. I was in heaven upon first bite. All other breakfast food is dead to me now!
I garnished the egg rolls with warm Heido Ho Creamy Chia Cheese, red bell peppers and green onions. Overall, it was a breakfast beyond compare!
Vegan Breakfast Egg Rolls
By April 10, 2016Published:
- Yield: 9-10 rolls
Crispy, savory vegan breakfast egg rolls.
- 1/2 TBSP Olive Oil
- 4 Red Potaoes Peeled and diced small
- Salt & Pepper To taste
- 6 Links FR Breakfast Sausage Diced small
- 2 1/2 Servings Vegan Egg
- 2 CUPS Vegetable Oil
- 9-10 Egg Roll Wrappers
- Water for sealing wrappers
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook potatoes with salt & pepper for 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft .
- Add in sausage and cook for another 5-6 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Scramble VeganEgg until thoroughly cooked, then remove from heat and stir in potato/sausage mix until well combined (breaking up the pieces as you go to make it easily spoonable into the wrappers). Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Assemble egg rolls by taking a wrapper and wetting each of the four corners. Spoon about 2-3 TBSP of filling into the middle of the wrapper then fold one side up and over the filling and gently press it down onto itself. Fold in both corners and roll to end, using more water to seal in the "seams". Repeat until filling is all used.
- Heat oil to 375° in a deep pot. Cook 1-2 rolls at a time for about 4-5 minutes (or until golden brown), turning half way through.
- Place on paper towel to drain - serve warm with any kind of garnishes or dips you like!