It’s day two of Week of Appetizers! Yesterday I shared my recipe for Spinach & Artichoke Wontons and today I’m bringing you these delectable little savory bites of goodness. Smokey cashew cheese sauce and nutritious kale blend with vegan sausage to make an incredibly tasty appetizer.
There’s nothing I love more than finger foods, whenever I see “passed hors d’oeuvres” on a party invite I get all giddy. It’s fun to try a bunch of different items and because they’re so small you get to sample a lot more. That’s part of what inspired this little week long series of appetizers. I can’t get enough of ’em!
The seeds of this particular recipe were planted when I opened up my cupboard and realized I’ve had this package of Mom’s Vegan Kitchen Biscuit mix staring at me for months and I needed to do something with it. I’m a huge fan of biscuits but didn’t want to make just biscuits, I wanted to do something special with it. I went through many ideas in my head but nothing sounded interesting enough. I contemplated enclosing some sort of filling into a biscuit ball but my ever knowledgable mother told me that logistically that probably wouldn’t work, but that little cups could work.
Another product I love is Gimme Lean vegan sausage. I use it in my stuffing recipe and love cooking it up in patty form for brunch. I figured since biscuit and sausage kind of naturally go together that the next element of these apps needed to be sausage.
To take them away from the breakfast feel I added some homemade smokey cashew cheese (I used this recipe but left out the cayenne and added 1/2 TSP liquid smoke) and sautéed kale. The flavor combination was insane and all of it baked up in little biscuit cups made for quite a tasty morsel.
This is another great recipe to take to holiday soirees and potlucks or to serve up before an intimate dinner gathering. Be sure to stop by tomorrow to see what the next appetizer will be!
Vegan Cheesy Sausage Kale Bites
By December 10, 2013Published:
- Yield: 30
It's day two of Week of Appetizers! Yesterday I shared my recipe for Spinach & Artichoke Wontons and today I'm bringing you …
- 1 10oz Pkg Gimme Lean Sausage
- 2 CUPS Organic Kale
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- Pepper to taste
- 2 CUPS Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 1 BATCH Biscuit Mix
- Preheat oven to 400° and lightly grease 1 or 2 mini muffin pans.
- In a large sauce pan brown sausage breaking into small crumbles, until heated through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan, heat olive oil and sauté kale with pepper until wilted. Add sausage and cashew cheese and combine well.
- Prepare biscuit mix and roll into a very thin sheet. Using a large round cookie cutter (or the top of a drinking glass) cut small circles of dough and gently press them into the muffin pan making little cups. Repeat until all the dough is gone.
- Fill the biscuit cups with cheese mixture and bake for approximately 8 minutes (keep an eye on it so the dough doesn't burn). Serve warm.