Two of my favorite dishes when dining at Asian restaurants are fried rice and yellow curry. 99.9% of the time I will order either one of those, rarely straying from the norm. I’m ok with that. I love them both so why risk ordering something I may not like when I can be a happy little camper chewing through a smile on my tried and true favorites? Maybe I’m missing out on some unknown dish that lives mysterious outside my comfort zone but not knowing is half the battle – or something like that.
This whole MoFo thing has me really pushing the boundaries of my cooking creativity (not an inventive cook, remember?) but it’s good for me. It gets the rusty culinary gears in my brain moving. I was up late last night trying to figure out exactly what to make today that would be cheap and gluten-free and the cogs must have clicked in the right synchronistic motion because this winning thought struck me: curry fried rice. Probably due in part that I’m still shocked I successfully made my first curry sauce last week, so I kinda want to put it on everything. Have I mentioned how much I love curry??
Unlike my kelp noodle casserole, I knew from the get-go this one was going to be good. In my book nothing can be bad if curry is involved. Maybe next year my MoFo theme will be all curry, all the time…hmm, I will ponder that more later.
Like I suspected this turned out fantastic. The perfect amount of curry flavor to compliment the vegetables and brown rice. I had to hold myself back from eating it all, it was that tasty. An excellent, satisfying dish for curry and rice lovers.
You can get creative with this recipe too, use whatever vegetables you have on hand, add tofu or tempeh if you wish. Carrots would be great in this, but the husband is allergic so I don’t use them much around here. Just have fun with it!
3 CUP Cooked Brown Rice $.80
1 Cloves Garlic $.12
1 TBSP Olive Oil $.12
1 TSP Crushed Red Pepper Flakes $.10
1 TBPS Curry Powder $.19
1/2 TSP Salt $.01
1 TBSP Coconut Aminos $.28
3/4 CUP Coconut Milk $.37
1/4 TSP Lemon Juice $.03
1/4 CUP Veggie Broth $.12
1 1/2 CUP Broccoli $.57
1 CUP Mushrooms $1.40
1 Onion $.73
2 Celery Stalks $.30
2 Green Onions $.28
Hot sauce (for garnish) – this is optional so I’m not going to add it into the cost
Total $5.42 or $1.36 per serving (made 4 healthy portions)
What are some of your go-to restaurant dishes you’ve recreated at home?
Vegetable Curry Fried Rice
By September 19, 2013Published:
A perfect marriage of spicy curry and vegetable fried rice, vegan style.
- 3 CUPS Cooked Brown Rice
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 CLOVE Garlic Minced
- 1 TSP Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 TBSP Curry Powder
- 1/2 TSP Salt
- 3/4 CUP Coconut Milk
- 1 TBSP Coconut Aminos
- 1/4 TSP Lemon Juice
- 1/4 CUP Veggie Broth
- 1 Small Onion Chopped
- 2 STALKS Celery Chopped
- 1 1/2 CUP Broccoli Florets
- 1 CUP Mushrooms Sliced
- 2 Green Onions Sliced
- Hot Sauce For Garnish
- Heat 1 TBSP olive oil in a pan over medium high heat. Sauté garlic, red pepper & curry powder for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in salt, coconut milk, coconut aminos & lemon juice. Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes until sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok heat veggie broth over high heat. Sauté onions, celery & broccoli for 3-4 minutes then add in mushrooms. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until broth has been absorbed and veggies are just starting to get tender.
- Stir in cooked brown rice with the vegetables until everything is well combined then add in the curry sauce and continue to stir until everything is incorporated and hot, about 5-6 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and hot sauce.