You guys know I like to keep it real so let me just start off by saying Vegan MoFo wore me out, big time! Doing 27 posts in one month is a lot of work. Planning recipes, grocery shopping, cooking, plating, taking pictures, editing pictures and writing the posts takes up a ton of time. Don’t get me wrong, I had a blast and it totally got my creative juices flowing, but I really needed a break after all that!
With that said though, I really want to keep the momentum going so here I am with another recipe post for y’all. I have so much quinoa in my pantry that I desperately need to start eating it to make room for other stuff (gotta have room for those vegan chocolate chips, ya know). So I had a base, I just needed to figure out something new to go with it. A quick look at what I had on hand and I came up with this warm black bean and kale “salad” (for lack of a better word, stir-fry maybe? I dunno).
This came out so flavorful (and pretty – look at those bright colors!) and I think the trick is to use the marinated roasted peppers. You could certainly roast your own peppers and use those, but I definitely don’t have time for that! I bought the peppers at Trader Joe’s and they are marinated in olive oil, water, garlic and some other yummy things (I forget exactly, I repurposed the glass they came in before writing this post) so they add a great layer of flavor to the dish.
Serve it up with a side of heirloom cherry tomatoes, diced avocado and sriracha and you have yourself quite a delicious meal with all kinds of fun textures!
Warm Black Bean & Kale Salad
By October 7, 2013Published:
Black beans, kale, peppers and onions warmed and served over quinoa.
- 1 CUP Uncooked Quinoa plus 2 cups water for cooking
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 CUP Red Onion Diced
- 3 CLOVES Garlic Minced
- 1 15oz CAN Black Beans Drained & Rinsed
- 1 8oz JAR Fire Roasted Bell Peppers Diced
- 1/2 TBSP Cumin
- Salt & Pepper To taste
- Juice from 1/2 Lime
- 2 CUP Kale Shredded & Massaged
- 1 Small Avocados Diced
- HANDFUL Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes
- Sriracha To taste
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet and sauté onions in garlic until they begin to soften, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in black beans, peppers, spices & lime juice. Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in kale and continuously toss and stir until the kale is warmed and just starting to wilt.
- Spoon black bean mixture over quinoa and garnish with avocado, tomatoes and sriracha.